Carbon Monoxide: The Silent Killer

Winter is the time when the public turns attention to the dangers of carbon monoxide, but did you know that it's a threat to your Chattanooga home all year long? This colorless, odorless and tasteless gas is produced by appliances and other devices that generate fumes as they burn fuel. Items such as your furnace, water heater, stove, space heaters, charcoal grill and gas dryer can be sources of carbon monoxide in your home. If these items are not in good working order, or if proper ventilation is an issue, the risk increases of carbon monoxide exposure.

WebMD list potential signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide as:

-Dull headache
-Shortness of breath
-Blurred vision
-Loss of consciousness

What precautions can you take against carbon monoxide in your home?

- Install and test a carbon monoxide and smoke detector in your home.
- Avoid closed spaces, such as your garage, when burning a charcoal grill.
- Never leave your car running in a closed garage, including warming it up during the cold mornings of winter.
- Ensure you use your gasoline or diesel powered generator outdoors.
- Have your fireplace inspected so that any blockage can be removed   
- Have your home’s heating system inspected to ensure proper operation 

If you need further resources about preventing carbon monoxide in your Chattanooga home, please visit the National Fire Protection Association